60+ organisations call on platforms to respect Palestinian digital rights
By Maria Mingo
Today Mnemonic joins 7amleh and over 60 other organisations in calling for tech companies to respect Palestinian digital rights in times of crisis.
Amongst other recommendations, the statement calls on platforms to:
- Urgently address instances of online hate speech, incitement and violent discourse targeting Palestinians, mainly in Hebrew.
- Take decisive and immediate action against alarming levels of disinformation and misinformation that have been widely disseminated over the past week across online platforms.
- Ensure the respect and protection of Palestinian voices on their platforms, especially those who document human rights violations.
- Address concerns about significant and disproportionate censorship of Palestinian voices through content takedowns and hiding hashtags, amongst other violations
- Acknowledge their vital role in the region by becoming more inclusive and implementing protective measures for their users.
- Recognise their crucial role and responsibility in the region, and to adhere to business and human rights principles as well as international human rights laws in safeguarding freedom of expression.
- Refrain from being actively involved in the ongoing silencing and atrocities committed against the Palestinian people.